1217 Harrison Street Santa Clara
Listed at: $1,589,000
Farmhouse Modern | Silicon Heritage
1,817 Sq. Ft.
Lot Size: 0.131 acres
Farmhouse Modern | Silicon Heritage
Stunning presentation of a recently renovated, meticulously updated, and sensitively expanded home that was originally built in the 1870's. Designed in the National Style of Vernacular Greek Revival architecture, which many may simply refer to as an 'American Farmhouse', with its shady sun porches, large sash windows, white clappboard siding and steep pitched roofing, all lending themselves to this warm and inviting architectural style.
Significantly remodeled in 2016, this 4-bed/3-bath home with 1,817 square feet of interior space, was taken down to the interior studs and then re-built with new foundations, electrical, plumbing, flooring, appliances, fixtures, walls, ceilings and crown molding. The new kitchen and bathrooms feature luxury granite and marble counters, while the layout offers a comfortable, modern, open floorplan. Featuring large windows on all sides, this home has an abundance of natural light. With spacious porches and decks front and back, this home will invite you to sit back and relax, enjoy the peace and tranquility of the beautiful outdoor gardens, while humming birds float back and forth amongst the lush flora.
Located in the historic Old Quad neighborhood of Santa Clara, this centrally located Silicon Valley home is gracefully set back from the quiet residential tree-lined street, presenting itself with both grandeur and charm.
- Open plan Kitchen, Dining and Living
- Family Room
- Front Porch
- Rear Entertainment Decks
- Landscaped Grounds and Gardens
- Ample Street Parking
- 1,817 square feet (per graphic artist)
- Two-story home
- Ground floor master suite with fireplace
- Central air conditioning
- Central forced air heat
- Nest wireless thermostat
- Tankless water heater with water softner
- Whole house fan
- High Ceilings
- Ceiling fans
- Hardwood floors
- Granite countertops
- Breakfast Bar
- Stainless steel appliances
- Energy-efficient appliances
- Gas range and oven
- Farmhouse sink
- Washer and Dryer
- Wall-mounted flat panel TV
- Double-paned windows
- Historic sash windows
- Window Treatments
- Security System
- Motion detector exterior lights
- Landscaped gardens with automatic irrigation system
- Secure front and rear yards
- While we understand that this special house is not registered as a Historic Landmark on the National or State Registrar, it's signficance as the Charles Parker & William D. Hudson home -- farmers, orchardists and agricultural businessmen -- may provide some historic significance. Seller was informed by prior sellers that it may therefore be eligible on the Inventory List at the Santa Clara Planning Dept under the Mills Act for a reduction in property taxes due to its historic significance and renovation in accordance with Secretary of the Interior renovation standards.
- Buyer is advised to review the Disclosure Package and to undertake their own investigations as seller does not warrant or represent that such eligibility is automatically guaranteed.
- Possible Resources:
Located in the Quad District of Santa Clara, 1217 Harrison is nestled on a quiet, tree-lined residential street. With Franklin Park just a block away and the Franklin Square retail stores and Saturday Farmer's Market (9am-1pm) just a stroll away, you will find yourself surrounded by local amenities, restaurants, cafe's and boutique shops. The newly remodeled Santa Clara Town Center features many stores and restaurants including Habit Burger & Grill, organic grocer Sprouts Market and retail giant Target, China Stix Restaurant, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Footwear Etc. and Carter’s. Among the retail stores and the restaurants that have been added are Saaj Mediterranean, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Panera Bread & Bakery, GNC, Sprint and Peninsula Beauty. More resources: https://www.santaclara.org
Santa Clara is a city near San Jose, in California's Silicon Valley. Many tech companies (Intel, Oracle, Sun Microsystems, Nvidia) are headquartered here and are surrounded by dozens more (Apple, Facebook, Google, EBay, Cisco Systems). The Intel Museum has exhibits about technological milestones, like the making of the silicon chip.
The City is home to Santa Clara University, other outstanding schools, the nationally recognized 100-acre California's Great America Theme Park, the George F. Haines International Swim Center, Triton Museum of Art, and the 49ers Football Training Center and their new home Levi's Stadium. Santa Clara is also home to internationally known, world champion Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps.
The City offers a wide variety of leisure and entertainment options for its residents. The Santa Clara City Library has received national honors for its outstanding programs and services to the community including being named a "Star Library" by the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service. It has also ranked among the top 10 public libraries in the nation by Hennen's American Public Library Ratings.
Santa Clara amenities include an award-winning Convention Center, Community Recreation Center, International Swim Center, Youth Activity Center, Senior Center, abundant retail shopping, restaurants, and medical facilities. Dozens of parks, playgrounds, special use facilities (like a Skate Park and Youth Soccer Park), the championship Santa Clara Golf & Tennis Club, a 40 acre open space preserve, the San Tomas Aquino/Saratoga Creek Trail, and two publicly owned cemeteries (one active and one historical), provide more than 450 acres of open space.
The Quad Historic District
The City of Santa Clara does not currently officially recognize the Old Quad as a "historic district". However, the area is filled with historic buildings, landmarks, and stories about the beginnings of Santa Clara. The Santa Clara Old Quad Residents’ Association (OQRA) was founded in June of 1979 to improve the physical appearance of the 125-year-old neighborhood. Since then, its purpose has been to preserve the substantial historical heritage, host social events that bring about a strong sense of community spirit, and promote a high-quality environment for all.
In 2014, several residents, new and old, have come together to grow membership and re-energize the group. OQRA members wish to educate others with regards to the rich and colorful history of our neighborhood, its former residents, and outstanding dwellings. Two of the primary, original goals were:
- Restoration and rehabilitation of the neighborhood's older homes.
- Ensuring any new developments are of the highest quality, compatible with the existing architecture, and provide for the areas needs.
OQRA also seeks to nourish the strong sense of neighborhood and belonging present in the Old Quad, via social gatherings, neighborhood group efforts, and publication of an informative newsletter. Courtesy of www.oldquadsantaclara.org
A Brief History of Santa Clara "The Mission City"
In 1769, Jose Francisco Ortega, scouting for the Portola-Serra party, became the first European to visit the fertile valley that later became known as the Santa Clara Valley. The area was inhabited by Indians who were named Los Costanos (the coast people) by the Spanish, and later were called the Ohlone. Spain began colonizing California by establishing a string of 21 churches, called missions, that eventually stretched 600 miles along the California Coast from San Diego to Sonoma. The Franciscan padres (priests) selected the fertile valley discovered by Ortega to establish the eighth mission, Mission Santa Clara, named for Saint Clare. The mission was founded January 12, 1777.
In 1821, the Mexicans achieved independence from Spain, but the change of rulers created no changes in the way the missions operated. The Ohlone were still brought to the mission for compulsory baptism and conversion to Christianity. Records show that by December, 1828, there had been 8,279 baptisms, 2,376 marriages, and 6,408 deaths at Mission Santa Clara.
In 1836, control of Mission Santa Clara was taken from the padres and turned over to civil commissioners who were supposed to oversee the "return of the land to the native population." This did not happen and squatters took over the church buildings and land. Disorder and decay set in and by 1839, there were only 300 Indians remaining in the vicinity of Mission Santa Clara. About this time, the Mexican governor began issuing land grants to various favored people. The land was used for vast ranchos (ranches); large numbers of cattle were raised and roamed at will over the land. Hides and tallow from the livestock eventually comprised the first commercial export product and industry in the area.
By the 1840's, the American frontier had expanded to California and new settlers began arriving in the area. The raising of the American flag over Monterey in July of 1846 was a symbol of the fact that the lands of California had passed from the hands of Mexico to the United States. California became a state in 1850.
When promises of great wealth failed to materialize during the Gold Rush of 1849, many of the gold seekers turned to the "gold" that was the fertile land of the Santa Clara Valley and began to settle in Santa Clara. In the 1850's the hamlet of Santa Clara began to take shape as a recognizable small town. The town site was surveyed by William Campbell into lots one hundred yards square, and one lot was given to each citizen with the understanding that he was to build a house on it within three months or lose the property. A schoolhouse and a church were built, several hotels erected, mercantile businesses established, and 23 houses were imported from Boston to be set up in the town.
In 1851, Santa Clara College was established on the old mission site and became a prominent feature of the developing town. Santa Clara incorporated as a town on July 5, 1852, and became a state-chartered city in 1862. By this time the city encompassed an area two miles long and one and a half miles wide. Outside city limits, small family farms and orchards developed and thrived in testimony of the area's fertile soil and mild climate.
As the town grew, it was supported by a variety of manufacturing, seed, and fruit industries. One of the earliest manufacturing businesses in Santa Clara was Wampach Tannery, established in 1849. In 1866, the business was taken over by Jacob Eberhard. Eberhard Tannery provided employment for the area for many years until torn down in 1953. Its fine leather products were sent to the Eastern U.S. states as well as Europe.
Another major employer was Pacific Manufacturing Company. Established in 1874, it became the largest wood products supplier on the Pacific Coast. It supplied quality lumber, mill work, sashes and doors, and moldings as well as coffins and caskets. The business closed in 1960. The immediate vicinity around Santa Clara became famous for its acre-upon-acre of flower and vegetable seed farms. J. M. Kimberlin and Co. was the first seed company to establish in Santa Clara in 1875, and it eventually became the largest seed grower on the Pacific Coast. C. C. Morse and Company seed farms started in the seed growing business after Kimberlin and grew to be the largest seed producer in the world. At harvest time, the company employed 500 people. Morse's main warehouse was located in Santa Clara near the railroad station.
The abundant fruit crop Santa Clara orchards produced was either shipped fresh, dried, or canned. Levi A. Gould, a Santa Clara orchardist, shipped the state's first carload of fresh fruit east in 1869, shortly after the transcontinental railroad was completed. Block Fruit Packing Company, established in 1878 on Gould's orchard land, became renown for the pears and cherries it packed and shipped to the east coast. Pratt-Low Preserving Company, established in 1905, sent canned apricots, pears, peaches, cherries, and plums to all parts of the United States, England, and the Orient. During harvest season, 300 to 400 women and men were employed in the handling, sorting and canning process. The California Cured Fruit Association was formed in 1900 to handle distribution of the dried fruit. In 1901, the Association built a large dried fruit warehouse near Santa Clara's railroad station. The Cured Fruit Association disbanded in 1903. In 1916, Rosenberg Brothers took over the warehouse for its dried prune and apricot operation.
As the 19th century came to a close, more and more people arrived seeking the mild climate and job opportunities of the Santa Clara area. By 1906, the population of the city had grown to nearly 5,000. The population remained fairly stable and did not increase greatly until after World War II when the city outgrew its 19th century boundaries and expanded to open lands north and west of the original city limits. The farms and orchards began to accommodate the burgeoning population.
A new product, the semiconductor chip, was developed in the 1950's. The resulting electronics industry, based on the silicon chip, gobbled up the remaining orchard land and changed the agricultural nature of Santa Clara and Santa Clara Valley forever. By 1990, the city covered 19.3 square miles and had a population of more than 93,000.
Few remnants of Santa Clara's agricultural past remain as it today sits in the heart of what is known world-wide as Silicon Valley. By harvesting the fruits of high technology, the Mission City has become a prosperous and progressive city with much to offer residents, businesses, and visitors alike. Courtesy of CIty Of Santa Clara: http://santaclaraca.gov/home
Saturday, July 21st from 1-4pm
Sunday, July 22nd from 1-4pm
Tuesday, July 24th from 6-7pm
Broker Tour (Buyers Welcome):
Thursday, July 26th from 9:30-12:30pm
Saturday, July 28th from 1-4pm
Sunday, July 29th from 1-4pm
Please call/email List Agent to schedule appointments.
- Email/call List Agent for access instructions.
- Please email List Agent for Link to Disclosures iO.
- Offers as they come.
- Please submit on current CAR Purchase Contract.
- All offers must include Pre-Approval Letter and/or Proof of Funds.
- All offers must include the signed DP coversheet.
- Seller reserves the right to accept or reject any offer.
Escrow Opened with:
- Bill Hastings
- Senior Escrow Officer | Los Gatos
- Old RepublicTitle Company
- T: 408.354.9128 | F: 408.404.0143