823 College Avenue Menlo Park
Listed at: $5,625,000
Menlo Magic | Tudor Teaser
Square Feet: 4.000
Lot Size: 8,102 SF
MENLO MAGIC | TUDOR TEASER
Experience this beautiful 4000 square foot home built in 2009! With designer finishes throughout, sophisticated formal living and dining rooms, a gourmet kitchen and great room with French doors accessing the patio living spaces, this home is not to be missed. Four bedrooms and three baths upstairs, including a spacious master suite with fireplace and balcony, spa bathroom and walk-in closet. The lower level has an entertainment area with wet bar, a bedroom, full bath and wine cellar. Perfect for entertaining, the large backyard extends the living space with an outdoor kitchen and BBQ, fire pit, spa and dining area with mature landscaping. Steps from Nealon Park, downtown Menlo Park, Palo Alto and Stanford University and Shopping Center. Easy access to freeways and Caltrain. Highly acclaimed Menlo Park Schools.
Menlo Park is a city at the eastern edge of San Mateo County, in the San Francisco Bay Area of California, in the United States. It is bordered by San Francisco Bay on the north and east; East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, and Stanford to the south; Atherton, North Fair Oaks, and Redwood City to the west. Menlo Park is one of the most educated cities in the state of California and the United States; nearly 70% of residents over the age of 25 have earned a bachelor's degree or higher.Menlo Park had 32,026 inhabitants according to the 2010 United States Census, which had grown to an estimated 34,357 inhabitants by 2017. The city is home to the corporate headquarters of Facebook and where Google and Round Table Pizza were founded.
Allied Arts Neighborhood
The neighborhood of Allied Arts & Downtown, comprising of Downtown Menlo Park and Allied Arts, is sometimes known as Stanford Park, and presents the dichotomy of Menlo Park. While much of Menlo Park is quite suburban, Allied Arts & Downtown is a mix of tranquil, family-friendly neighborhoods with a convenient retail and commercial district.
Downtown Menlo Park is home to a diverse mix of restaurants, shops, and multi-family housing. Santa Cruz Avenue is the main artery of Downtown Menlo Park, and has a variety of commercial establishments, from upscale clothing, and homewares to modest mom-and-pop shops. These shops and restaurants draw in visitors from all over San Mateo County. Residential properties are found starting about two blocks on either side of Santa Cruz. People that live downtown have to deal with car and pedestrian traffic, particularly on weekends. The trade-off, however, is the abundance of convenient shopping and fine dining.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 17.4 square miles (45 km2), of which 9.8 square miles (25 km2) is land and 7.6 square miles (20 km2) is water. The total area is 43.79% water. Menlo Park is long and narrow on a northeast to southwest axis. The northeast portion borders the San Francisco Bay and includes the Dumbarton Bridge that connects Menlo Park to Fremont on the east side of the bay. The city shoreline includes the city's largest park, Bedwell Bayfront Park 160 acres (65 ha) and the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. San Francisquito Creek marks much of the southeast border of the city. West Menlo Park (not part of the city despite its name) along Alameda de las Pulgas nearly separates the southwestern part of the city (known as Sharon Heights) from the rest. The extreme southwest is clipped by Interstate 280.
The Bayshore Freeway (part of U.S. Route 101) traverses Menlo Park northwest to southeast near the shoreline and somewhat parallel to it to the southwest is El Camino Real. The intersection of El Camino Real and Santa Cruz Avenue is considered the heart of the city. Nearby, the Menlo Park Civic center is bounded by Ravenswood Avenue, Alma Street, Laurel Street and Burgess Drive. It contains the council offices, library, police station and Burgess Park which has various recreational facilities. Other major roads include Sand Hill Road in the Sharon Heights area.
The residential areas of Menlo Park can be unofficially divided into several neighborhoods. From "east" (northeast toward San Francisco Bay) to "west" (southwest toward the Pacific coast), they are defined by the Palo Alto Weekly as follows: Belle Haven is the only neighborhood east of Route 101; much of the rest of that area is business or protected land. Between 101 and the roughly parallel Middlefield Road are the neighborhoods of the Willows, Suburban Park, Lorelei Manor, Flood Triangle, Vintage Oaks, and South of Seminary (the seminary being Saint Patrick's Seminary). Between Middlefield and El Camino Real are the Caltrain track and Felton Gables, Linfield Oaks, and Park Forest. West of El Camino until the foothills of the Peninsula are the neighborhoods of Downtown Menlo Park, Central Menlo Park, and Allied Arts (sometimes also known as Stanford Park, it is named for the Allied Arts Guild in it). In the hills are Sharon Heights and Stanford Hills. Several other neighborhoods are closely associated with Menlo Park but are actually in unincorporated San Mateo county; these include Menlo Oaks and Fair Oaks (latter part of the North Fair Oaks census area) between Bayshore and Middlefield, University Heights (also known as West Menlo Park) between Sharon Heights and most of the rest of the city, and Stanford Weekend Acres which is somewhat near Stanford Hills.
The area of Menlo Park was inhabited by the Ohlone people when the Portolá expedition arrived in 1769. In 1795 the Rancho de las Pulgas land grant was made that include the area of the current city. In 1851 two Irish immigrants, Dennis J. Oliver and his brother-in-law D. C. McGlynn, purchased a 1,700-acre (690 ha) tract of land on the former Rancho de las Pulgas. In 1854, they erected a gate with a wooden arch bearing the inscription "Menlo Park" and the date "August 1854" at the entrance to their property (now the intersection of Middle Ave and El Camino Real). The word "Menlo" derived from the owners' former home of Menlo in County Galway, Ireland, and is an Anglicized version of the original Irish name of the place, Mionloch, meaning "middle lake."
In 1863, the San Francisco and San Jose Rail Road had built the railroad from San Francisco to as far as Mayfield (now California Avenue station in Palo Alto) and started running trains to the area. They named a nearby station "Menlo Park" after the sign. The 1867 station building still stands on the platform of the current Caltrain station, used by the local Chamber of Commerce. It holds the record as the oldest, continually operating train station in all of California. The town of Menlo Park grew up around this station, becoming a popular home for San Francisco businessmen. A post office arrived in 1870, and the city was incorporated in 1874 (it would dissolve after two years but would later be permanently incorporated in 1927). The original arch which gave its name to the stations and ultimately, the city, survived until 1922, when the original arch was destroyed in an automobile accident. The origin of the name of Menlo Park, California (ca 1850) pre-dates any work done by Thomas Edison (ca 1876) in Menlo Park, New Jersey; Menlo Park, New Jersey was established in 1676 after the founding of the East Jersey Colony.
In 1917/1918 a large portion of Menlo Park was the site of Camp Fremont, a training camp for, at its height, 27,000 men being sent to fight in World War I. It didn't last long (the camp was dismantled after the war), but army engineers paved the first streets in Menlo Park and laid the first water and gas lines. The army did retain the camp hospital, and it is now the site of a Veterans Administration hospital off of Willow road in Menlo Park. In the autumn of 1918 a flu pandemic hit Camp Fremont and killed 147.
At the start of World War II, the US government bought the 260-acre (110 ha) estate of Timothy Hopkins from his widow and created the Palo Alto General Hospital later renamed the Dibble General Hospital (after Colonel John Dibble who was killed in 1943). After the war ended, some of the land was sold to the city and became the sites of the main library and city hall. More of the land was bought by Stanford University to house the increase in students due to the G.I. Bill; the area was known as the "Stanford Village," which existed as student housing until the mid-1960s. This land also was the site of the Stanford Research Institute (now SRI International) starting in 1947; between 1955 and 1968 SRI bought the rest of the Stanford Village.
In the 1960s, the former 600 acres (240 ha) estate of Frederick W. Sharon (1859–1914) (son of Senator William Sharon) and his wife, Louise Tevis Breckinridge Sharon (1858–1938; daughter of Lloyd Tevis and divorced wife of John Witherspoon Breckinridge), in the hills of south west Menlo Park was developed and called "Sharon Heights."